With the group potential of 35,000 municipal employees and 1,500 elected officials, the Municipal Finance Authority has negotiated an investment plan through Sun Life Financial that offers a substantial reduction in management fees for plan members. These savings add to your annual return.
The plan is available to all municipal employees and elected officials. It offers an extensive selection of funds in the RRSP, non-registered, and tax free savings account categories. Contributions are made through a payroll deduction system which offers the benefit of a tax deduction at source for the RRSP funds.
Being part of a group plan brings many benefits:
- Low investment management fees (25% - 40% less, depending on the fund)
- Access to institutional mutual funds normally only accessible to individuals with a minimum of $10,000 to invest
- Ease of payroll deductions
- Immediate tax savings (RRSP & TFSA)
- No fees to make investment changes
- Lifetime eligibility within group plan
The plan offers:
- RRSP details RRSP Enrolment Form
- NREG details (non-registered) accounts NREG Enrolment Form
- TFSA details (tax-free savings) accounts TFSA Enrolment Form
- Three types of investment classes:
- Money Market / Guaranteed Income
- Bonds (Fixed Income)
- Equities (Stocks)
How to contribute:
- Payroll deduction through your municipality Payroll Deduction
- Automatic Cheque Plan for individuals
- Lump sum deposits
- Transfers in from outside accounts
Members of the plan will also have access to:
- An online tool for planning and management of investments
- A Call-centre to assist with choices and answer questions
Retirement & Investment Planning Tools:
How do I choose my investments? How much should I be saving to reach my goals?
Retirement planning information and tools can be found on the Sun Life website.
You can use the generic ID to sign in to mySunLife and utilize some of the planning tools provided
- Generic Access ID: 14577
- Generic PIN: 257986
Contact Sun Life Financial’s Customer Care Centre representatives toll free any business day from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET. They can provide account info, market info, enrolment assistance and more in over 150 languages.
Sun Life Customer Care Centre: 1-866-733-8613
How to Enroll:
To get started in the Municipal Investment Plan please complete an enrolment form for the type of account you would like to open, and either a payroll deduction or automatic cheque payment form and submit to the MFA by email.
Forms & additional information related to the Municipal Investment Plan can be found on the Forms page.
NEWS & UPDATES
In the latest federal budget released on March 22, 2017, the Government of Canada announced it will discontinue the sale of Canada Savings Bonds (CSBs) and Canada Premium Bonds (CPBs) as of November 2017.
What does this mean?
As many organizations have offered Canada Savings Bond payroll deduction purchase options in the past now is the time to direct those funds into a Tax Free Savings Account through the Municipal Investment Plan (MIP). Not only does the MIP Program offer Tax Free Savings Accounts (TFSA) it also offers Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) and Non-Registered Investment Accounts (NREG) with three types of investment classes: Money Market Funds, Bonds and Equities. In addition, as existing Canada Savings Bond holdings mature, individuals may transfer these funds directly into a TFSA.
If you are not already a member of the Municipal Investment Plan program click HERE for more information. Enrollment is easy!
New Sunlife Mobile App
Manage your financial future on the go!
- Make lump sum contributions
- Review transaction history and check your balances
- Learn on the go
- Log in using your fingerprint
For more information on the new Sunlife Mobile App click HERE