With the group potential of 35,000 municipal employees and 1,500 elected officials, the Municipal Finance Authority has negotiated an investment plan through Sun Life Financial that offers a substantial reduction in management fees for plan members. These savings add to your annual return.
The plan is available to all municipal employees, elected officials, and spouses. It offers an extensive selection of funds in the RRSP, non-registered, and tax free savings account categories. Contributions are made through a payroll deduction system which offers the benefit of a tax deduction at source for the RRSP funds.
Being part of a group plan brings many benefits:
- Low investment management fees (25% - 40% less, depending on the fund)
- Access to institutional mutual funds normally only accessible to individuals with a minimum of $10,000 to invest
- Ease of payroll deductions
- Immediate tax savings (RRSP & TFSA)
- No fees to make investment changes
- Lifetime eligibility within group plan
The plan offers:
- RRSP details RRSP Enrolment Form
- NREG details (non-registered) accounts NREG Enrolment Form
- TFSA details (tax-free savings) accounts TFSA Enrolment Form
- Three types of investment classes:
- Money Market / Guaranteed Income
- Bonds (Fixed Income)
- Equities (Stocks)
How to contribute:
- Payroll deduction through your municipality Payroll Deduction
- Payments arranged directly through the MFA Personal Deduction
- Lump sum deposits
- Transfers in from outside accounts
Members of the plan will also have access to:
- An online tool for planning and management of investments
- A Call-centre to assist with choices and answer questions
Retirement & Investment Planning Tools:
How do I choose my investments? How much should I be saving to reach my goals?
Retirement planning information and tools can be found on the Sun Life website.
You can use the generic ID to sign in to mySunLife and utilize some of the planning tools provided
- Generic Access ID: 14577
- Generic PIN: 257986
Contact Sun Life Financial’s Customer Care Centre representatives toll free any business day from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET. They can provide account info, market info, enrolment assistance and more in over 150 languages.
Sun Life Customer Care Centre: 1-866-733-8613
How to Enroll:
To get started in the Municipal Investment Plan please complete an enrolment form for the type of account you would like to open, and either a payroll deduction or personal deduction form (for contributions directly through the MFA) and submit to the MFA by email.
Forms & additional information related to the Municipal Investment Plan can be found on the Forms page.
NEWS & UPDATES
Sun Life Financial is offering free, on-going monthly webinars geared towards helping you reach your financial and retirement goals. These webinars are live, up to 1 hour in length and hosted by Sun Life’s Senior Education Consultants, who work with employers across the country to educate employees about their workplace savings plans and how to make the most of them.
What you’ll get:
- Access to seven informative topics throughout 2017
- Simple online registration process
- Topics range from investment fund management, building a financial plan, retirement readiness and more
- Convenient schedules, which include evening webinars, allowing you to attend sessions from the comfort of your own home
- Materials for download, summarizing the webinar session
Not a member of your workplace savings plan? No problem - you can still attend!
Visit www.sunlife.ca/mymoney to register.
Don’t miss out on this exclusive learning opportunity!
if you are not already a member of the Municipal Investment Plan program click HERE for more information. Enrollment is easy!